Monday, May 9, 2016

adventures in lyon.

The Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière and the metallic tower of Fourvière in the distance.
The view from the top of the Basilica steps.
What a gorgeous city!
The streets and shop displays were charming.
The street art on the way to the top of the Basilica was a fun surprise.
Lyon's praline pastry was almost too pretty to eat!


The Roman Amphitheater was a sight to behold. 
I'm not exaggerating when I say that this was the best pastry I've ever eaten.
After my magical two days in Paris, it was time to board the train to Lyon. I had heard of Lyon prior to my trip to France, but I didn't really know what to expect. As I quickly discovered during my two days in the city, Lyon is the food capital of France and a hub for French history. I got to experience both aspects during my time there!

In terms of sights, Lyon has some truly magnificent architecture. I loved visiting the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière and the Roman Amphitheater, even though getting to the top of the hill to see both of them was quite an effort. There are so many stairs! I also fell for the open shopping streets and charming storefronts in the older zone of the city. I'll readily admit that I wandered into more than a few chocolate shops as I made my way around town.

Speaking of food, Lyon lived up to its foodie reputation. I made sure to try some of the local dishes, like a rose praline brioche and saucisson en brioche, which I can only describe as a larger, more delicious version of a pig in a blanket. I also need to mention the fact that I had the best pastry of my life in Lyon. I ordered a chocolate and almond brioche (pictured above) from the boulangerie near my apartment and proceeded to freak out over how amazing it was for the rest of the day. It was just that good!

While Paris fulfilled all of my first-time visitor to France dreams, Lyon surprised me with its charm and local flair. I'll definitely be returning!

xoxo

Sabrina

P.S. Check out my previous adventure to Munich!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all for your lovely messages. Follow me if you like my posts!